All participants will come out of the Melbourne Cabaret Course at Fab Nobs Theatre with a fundamental understanding of how to put together a solo cabaret, and the foundations of a working script, song list and unique show concept. They will also have had the opportunity to produce, promote, perform and be paid for their professional short cabaret debut for an audience and peers in a local cabaret venue.
The course includes:
- 3 x 2-hour sessions of workshopping, writing, developing and editing your own solo cabaret
- 1 x cabaret master class focussed on detailed development of a specific song for with accompanist and course co-ordinator
- 1 x dress rehearsal with accompanist and with personal direction from course co-ordinator
- 1 x Performance Night gig with accompanist to showcase your 15-20 minute solo cabaret
- The cabaret ‘Starter Pack’, week-by-week extensive workshop handouts, and individual writing and performance guidance and critique
- All accompanist, venue hire and technical costs for rehearsals and Performance Night
- Guaranteed small classes for individual attention, advice and focus on your specific show and requirements
- Final graduate certificate upon course completion, and feedback focus group opportunity
The first week will be dedicated to discussing in detail the genre and expectations of cabaret, learning about marketing and advertising a solo production, and exploring methods for creating a unique concept for your own show
This session will be about song choices and scripting: how to incorporate a good variety and balance of music, arranging and crafting songs for your own specific purposes, skills for writing and developing workable dialogue, and methods for linking songs and script together.
This session will be about direction and blocking, performance skills, and script editing: what to do on stage to make your material/characters/songs work better, how to polish and hone your dialogue and timing, and performance ‘tricks of the trade’ for rehearsing and preparing material.
This master class involves running through one song with the accompanist that you have been working on for inclusion in your show, and subsequently workshopping and developing it intensively with the course co-ordinator as pragmatic training in how to prepare repertoire for cabaret-style performance.
This rehearsal session with accompanist and director will be workshopping an excerpt from the material you have been creating, to gauge audience reaction and receive more personalized direction, more detailed staging suggestions and specific performance advice for your show.
The final session will be performing this extract from your developing show as part of the Performance Night events. You will also be provided with an accompanist and lighting operator, profit-share for ticket sales, lots of support and encouragement before and during the performance, and constructive critique and feedback during the discussion session afterwards.
Click HERE for course dates
Contact email@example.com for further inquiries